Here is the recipe if any of you fancy trying it.....
4oz softened butter (make sure it's really soft)
6oz self raising flour
1tsp baking powder
6oz golden caster sugar
2 large eggs
6 tbsp milk
finely grated rind of a large unwaxed lemon
juice of a large lemon
4oz golden caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C/gas mark 4
2. Cake can be made in an oblong tin which measures 9" x 8", lined with baking parchment. could also be made in a round tin, 7 or 8" is fine.
3. Tip all cake ingredients into large mixing bowl and beat for 2-3 minutes; mixture will drop easily off spoon.
4. Spoon mixture into tin and smooth with back of spoon. Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden and firm to the touch.
5. Beat together icing ingredients and pour over the cake while it is still HOT.
6. Cool in tin and cut into squares or slices.
Master M also likes it warm. Hope you enjoy it too.