Sunday 5 February 2012

A Weekend with Cath !!!!

It all started 30 something years ago when I got my first sewing machine a Novum 5000...


She was a lovely machine and I did use her quite a bit.  I'm not that great at sewing and would certainly never attempt to make anything whatsoever for anyone to wear, but I'm ok at making curtains and that sort of thing.  Well sometime ago after a couple of repairs the old girl gave up the ghost, (I do still have her in the garage as buying her was one of the last things I did with my Dad before he died and I will never throw her away).  I decided to buy just a cheap sewing machine to replace her, but the old saying 'you get what you pay for' was most definitely the case here, and as a result I haven't made very much since.

Three or four years ago I bought the Cath Kidston SEW book with the little bag to make, yes you've guessed it, I never had the courage to attempt it so the fabric has been sitting in my cupboard all this time.


 I was most fortunate in January to get a bit of a bonus from work so I decided to buy myself a new sewing machine, and after much research I purchased this little poppet .................


My husband and son thought a Toyota sewing machine was quite amusing !  I have to say I am really pleased with it, it's quiet, smooth, easy to control and a joy to use, and very much like using my old Novum.

As I didn't have any plans this weekend and my son's rugby was cancelled I thought it was about time I had a go at making something with the new machine and here are the results...........


I even decided to add lining to the bag too.......brave eh!


I am very proud of my efforts, and do actually feel that I will be able to use the bag without being embarrassed.


I decided not to do the buttonholes but to attach the strap to the bag and make it the length I wanted it.



Turned out it was much easier than I though it would be, although there are a couple of little things that I would do differently next time overall I'm very pleased, what do you think ?

Until next time......

9 comments:

  1. Fabulous! You must be pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same book and the 'ingredients' to the make the same bag- you have inspired me to get on with it!Was it difficult?
    Warm Wishes,
    Callie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really good, well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL at Marcus and Mimmo, ha ha!
    I knew you were a clever knitter/crocheter, didn't know you also love sewing, well done you!
    Thank you for your always kind comments!
    Micky xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute bag! I admire those who can do all things crafty ... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello my darling,

    I thank you my friend for not forgetting me and for all those lovely words you left for me while I was away. I popped in to wish you Happy Valentine's day and to let you know that you truly are a special friend.

    Love & Hugs
    Duchess

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very impressed Jill esp giving the lining a go too! Well done!

    Have fun making more fabulous things with your new sewing friend!

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bag is lovely and really benefits from the lining!

    I don't suppose you still have the manual for the Novum, I am desperate to track one down :)

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi just seen this post a few yrs down line while googling Novum! I have same Novum still going strong after 33yrs! Wondering if I should treat myself to a new machine?
    If above comment (still!) Needs manual I have one somewhere. Hope your new machine proved as good as the last!

    ReplyDelete